In the previous article, we talked about the levels that maintenance has. In the instrumental level of maintenance, there are all the real elements required to have a management and maintenance operation system. Therefore, CMMS information systems in maintenance are vital for a good maintenance management.
Information is the core of maintenance, and it is necessary to determine the decisions and strategies to be taken in the area and the company.
What information should know and manage maintenance?
Among the information that is important to manage and know, some topics stand out, such as:
- Maintenance plans for facilities and equipment.
- Automatic purchase requests, when any spare part or input is ordered.
- Record of all failure analysis and related information.
- Development of requests for maintenance work performed by any person in the plant or company.
- Registration of all equipment, basic data, parts and components.
- Inventory and management of spare parts and supplies.
- Historical records of failure times and repairs. In addition, registration of administrative times and delays for supplies or tools.
- Historical records of consumption, repairs and changes.
- Basic information and salaries of all employees and area workers
- Costs of all maintenance and production resources.
- Indexes, yields and indicators of maintenance, operation and/or sales, among others.
- Costs of operation, replacement, recruitment and maintenance of equipment.
- System of administration, registration, evaluation and management of maintenance and production.
In order to manage all the information resulting from maintenance, we must have a flexible information system that is updated in real time. These maintenance administration and management systems are called CMMS.
How to choose a CMMS?
The choice of maintenance software is an important decision for companies and requires extensive analysis. It must be taken into account that the system supports the growth of the company at least 10 years; to avoid inconveniences of relocation or storage problems.
It should be noted that the CMMS is a support tool for the maintenance logistics system. The whole maintenance and/or production system should not be adapted to the CMMS conditions. CMMSs serve to help develop and give a continuous improvement to the normal maintenance and production flow.
The system must provide real-time information accessible from any device within the company. Today, CMMS must provide maximum mobility in order to have the information on costs, pending work, supplies and repairs at the desired time. These systems must be well implemented before the adoption of any maintenance tactics such as TPM, RCM, WCM, etc.
Don't leave without seeing this
Aspects to bear in mind when choosing a CMMS
Some aspects to take into account when selecting and implementing maintenance software are
- Define the magnitude and quantity of works, activities, maintenance plans, equipment and indicators, which need to be controlled in the company.
- Determine the reports and types of reports that are needed.
- Examine whether the desired software is networked and compatible with the systems already installed in the company.
- Ensure training and advice with suppliers, during the implementation and implementation of the program.
Expansions and future consulting are a major factor when selecting a maintenance information system. The great industrial automation and maintenance activities must be supported by computerized CMMS systems.
If you have found this article interesting, do not hesitate to share it, leave your comments and subscribe to this blog.